Saturday, March 12, 2011

Princess, work?

An interesting start to 2011...

I was supposed to do a post about my running and climbing plans in 2011 since this is the year that I turn 50...

But as we welcomed the new year, I became sick. After about a week of fever in January, I decided that I needed to get up and move around to get better. The next day, I was in the hospital with an atypical pneumonia. I've never been that sick in my life. I've considered myself a runner for years now, and not being able to breathe was a new and frightening feeling. It took awhile, but by February I was getting better, and in mid-February, I was able to begin easy, like 10 minute, cardio workouts. In March, I was able to begin running slowly on a treadmill. I still haven't ventured out onto the roads or trails, but I am slowly ramping up the running and I will be running at least a couple of "races" this year.


Deborah had also been sick basically since the wedding--one sinus infection after another. Multiple doctors had looked at her, and multiple doctors had prescribed multiple antibiotics. January through February she didn't really get better. Just when we thought she was getting better in March, Deborah had another relapse. We're going to yet another doctor to see if we can learn what's going on. Deborah and I have a number of activities planned in 2011--working out, climbing, sex, etc.--so we both need our health.


Through all of the adult illness, the kids were rock solid. Never a cough, hiccup, broken limb, or anything. For that, Deborah and I are extremely thankful. Extremely!


During 2010, we decided that Deborah needed a new car. The old 2000 Neon with 104,000 miles, and breathtakingly attractive hail damage, was nearing the end of its useful days. Every time I got in the car, the Neon would groan. At the end of February, it was time to car shop, and Deborah picked a 2011 Ford Escape.

Deborah's been so sick that I bet she hasn't put 100 miles on her "escape" since we bought it. It does look good in the garage though, and she has been able to talk to it a few times. The car has the SYNC system, so most of the features are voice activated. Unlike kids, it's fun to talk to a car and have it respond. I talk till I'm blue to the kids, but the response is never quite what I intended. Does that change at some point?


After we had purchased Deborah's "escape" from the dealer, I picked up Lexie, Justin, and Jarrod, and we drove home in the "old" Expedition while mom cruised in her escape. One of the boys asked how much the car cost, and I explained that it was expensive, so now I had to go back to work to earn money for their college education.


Lexie said, "But I don't want to go to college."


I replied, "Lexie, you mean that you don't want to go to college to become a doctor like Dr. G on TV." (Note: Dr. G is a medical examiner with a reality show that explains autopsies and the search for a cause of death. It might seem kind of a weird show to watch, but it is very interesting and Lexie likes it.)


Lexie thought about it for a minute and said, "Where does a princess go to learn how not to work?"

5 comments:

Carrie said...

Tell her even princesses work at Disneyland.

drbubba said...

Thank you honey for airing my dirty-single-mom-couldnt-afford-any-car-but-my beautiful-Neon-"laundry," which got slammed into the third day i owned it by a soccer mom in a huge SUV playing Mario Andretti on that C-470/I-70 interchange curve,(Thank God that a jeffco sheriff was right behind her so lying wasnt an option.....so, then thinking it was safe back at home, Colorado gets hit with its award setting hail storm that smashed out my back window and placed those lovely hail damage spots all over my Neon cuz i couldnt quite afford the rental of a garage that one week.Silly me, feeding my kids just seemed the better money source that week! haha Does back luck skip car ownership? My lord I hope so or my Escape wont be 'a doin any Escap'in from THIS garage! sshhhhh, a quick secret...i think david gladly bought me that Escape cuz he was embarrassed to park the Neon within 50 yards of this stately, overpriced, one small tornado blown(puffed) step from falling over Melody Home. Hey, maybe parking the Neon very close would at the very least, save the front door from crashing over. haha. There;s good in everything huh honey? Thank you again for my Escape!!! No man has ever surprised me with such an amazing gift. YOU remain MY amazing gift from God my love...shall we say the Escape is but the icing on THAT particular cake? I love you baby!!

drbubba said...

bubbas better half some days...... Honey not to worry about the kids depleted colleg fund! I told our smallest member of the family that her brains and beauty will get her far in this world. Yes she listened to my "mommy advice," and whalla!! She hit the pavement on Sunday, dressed to kill, and out to make up those lost education bucks!! (pssssttt, maybe you can post that photo of our Lexie showing her creation of our newest wealth stream!)

drbubba said...

......now i wasn't gonna fix my oversight in spelling, but i decided its more fun to see how anally retentive my new hubbie can be...lets take a vote? Will he remind me how to spell "college?" Better yet, will he truly beleive I can't even spell "college?" haha

drbubba said...

haha...better yet, I'll just go back to college and have my first class be entitled "proofreading before posting to a blog." (believe)