Monday, May 23, 2011

Week 6 - "Don't Skip The Long Runs"

When I was starting to train for marathons in 2007, I read quite a few running books along with Colorado Runner and Runner's World magazines. The quote that stuck with me, and I can't remember the source, was "whatever you do, don't skip the long runs." As I noted last week, during my weekend 50th birthday celebration, I "canned" the scheduled 10 mile long run. I conveniently ignored my mind telling me, "don't skip the long runs."

This week, I completed an easy 5 mile run on Monday and a cross-train workout on Tuesday, but Wednesday, I started feeling sick. Thinking that a day off might help, I skipped Wednesday's run, and I got really sick Thursday and Friday. Because I didn't feel tip top, I canned the scheduled 10 mile long run on Saturday and then again on Sunday. Yesterday, I really regretted not getting last week's long run in when I felt young and strong on my 50th birthday.

With the Estes Park 1/2-marathon only 3 weeks away, I decided last night that I would deliver the kids to school and try to run between 6 and 10 miles this morning. If anything, the long run would help get the yuk out of my chest from the illness.

I can now happily report that I completed a good 8.03 mile run this morning, and after changing the training plan slightly, I'm on track for a good 1/2-marathon next month.

This week I completed the following.

Monday - 5.14 mile run
Tuesday - Cross-train - stairs & weight training
Wednesday - Rest
Thursday - Sick
Friday - Sick
Saturday - Recovering from sick
Sunday - More Recovery

Not a stellar week, but I'm displaying today's chart to show all is OK.

No comments: