Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Long Run for an Ultramarathoner

I asked my coach what he considers a long run for an ultramarathoner. He said that as he prepares for a 100 miler, he will always get in at least a couple 50 mile runs. And he added his workouts during the week are about the same as a marathoner, but on weekends, he'll run two long runs. The long runs are in terms of hours instead of miles, for example, 5 hours on Saturday followed by 3 or 4 hours on Sunday would be considered 2 long runs.

Makes my feet hurt thinking about it.

My bucket-with-holes-in-the-bottom list held the following.
1. Jumping from an airplane.
2. Climbing an 8000 m peak. (I'd still like to trek to base camp.)
3. Completing an ultramarathon.

Fortunately, those 3 have leaked out of the bucket and I don't have to consider doing them. My other bucket list remains quite full, including a sub 4:00:00 marathon on May 6, 2012.

No comments: